2 Easy Summer Hairstyles to Get Your Hair Off Your Neck
Nothing feels as uncomfortable as wearing your hair down when it’s hot. (Well, save for posing for a picture with a posse of models or sleeping on a crappy mattress, but still.) In the dead of summer, hair acts like insulation when it’s lying against your neck, but you don’t have to rely on a three-second ponytail for relief. Hairstylist Jawara dreamed up 2 supercool styles that’ll get your hair off your face, out of the way—all based on how much time you have to do you hair.
IF YOU HAVE 5 MINUTES:
- A severe side part, sleek finish, and low profile keep these ultra-easy double buns modern and far from Princess Leia territory.
- Generously coat hair with a strong-hold hair spray.
- Create a crisp side part from the front of your head to your crown, then stop, move the part to the middle, and continue all the way down to the nape of your neck.
- Secure each side into a low ponytail with elastics.
- Twist each ponytail into a snake then coil them up into a spiral, securing each with a couple of bobby pins.
IF YOU HAVE 10 MINUTES:
Braid Back steps:
- This style works with any texture. If you have waves or curls, spritz on a conditioning spray, like Bumble and Bumble Prep Primer, to freshen them up. If your hair is straight, mist with some shine spray.
- Take two sections of hair on the side of your part to create a rope braid. (This only sounds tricky.)
- Twist each section clockwise before wrapping them together in a counterclockwise direction. Add more hair from the hairline as you make your way around your head.
- Continue until you reach the back of your head, then repeat on the other side and pin each braid in place. Make sure to crisscross the bobby pins for extra hold.
- Now gently tug on the rope braids to make them looser. Don’t worry if a few wisps come out; they’ll keep things looking ethereal.
- Finish with a light-hold hair spray.